CHICAGO – The Red Sox will embark on their penultimate road trip of the year starting Friday, starting with a three-game series against the AL Central leaders White Sox. Here is an overview:
Boston Red Sox (80-62) vs. Chicago White Sox (80-60) Guaranteed Rate Field Chicago, IL
SERIES SCHEDULE (and TV information):
Fri, Sep 10, 8:10 p.m. ET – NESN
Sat Sept. 11 7:10 p.m. ET – NESN
Sun. September 12, 2:10 p.m. ET – NESN / TBS
HOW TO WATCH:
Fri, Sep 10, 8:10 p.m. ET – NESN (Channel finder: Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, Spectrum / Charter, Optimum / Altice, DIRECTV, Plate, AT&T U verse, fuboTV and Sling) Direct: Watch NESN Live, fuboTV, MLB.tv (off-market)
Sat Sept. 11 at 7:10 p.m. ET – NESN (Channel finder: Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, Spectrum / Charter, Optimum / Altice, DIRECTV, Plate, AT&T U verse, fuboTV and Sling) Direct: Watch NESN Live, fuboTV, MLB.tv (off-market)
Sun. September 12, 2:10 p.m. ET – NESN (Channel finder: Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, Spectrum / Charter, Optimum / Altice, DIRECTV, Plate, AT&T U verse, fuboTV and Sling) Direct: Watch NESN Live, fuboTV, MLB.tv (off-market), Watch TBS Live
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT:
The White Sox entered the 2021 season with huge expectations and delivered, as they – barring a miracle – will win the Central American League for the first time since 2008 and only the third time since 2000. At 80- 60, the ChiSox hold a 10-game advantage over the second-place Indians.
Under new manager Tony La Russa, Chicago has thrived in virtually every statistical category. Offensively, they are fifth in majors on team average (0.255) and seventh in OPS (0.754) despite having 19th most homers (165) in the game. On the pitching side, the White Sox are third in the majors in strikeouts (1,375), tied for fourth in opponent average (0.227) and ninth in ERA (3.78).
Chicago was very aggressive on the trade deadline, acquiring closest all-star Craig Kimbrel from the Cubs as well as second baseman Cesar Hernandez and reliever Ryan Tepera. Currently the club are missing a few key pieces with shortstop Tim Anderson (hamstring strained) and pitchers Lucas Giolito (hamstring strained) and Lance Lynn (knee inflammation) all on the injured list. The White Sox are 3-4 so far in September.
Friday, 8:10 p.m. ET – RHP Tanner Houck (0-3, 3.26 ERA) v LHP Carlos Rodón (11-5, 2.41 ERA)
Saturday, 7:10 p.m. ET – TBD vs. RHP Dylan Cease (11-7, 3.87 ERA)
Sunday, 2:10 p.m. ET – TBD vs TBD
THREE SOX TO WATCH:
Ort, who has a 3.12 ERA and recorded 59 strikeouts in 40 games (43.1 innings) for the WooSox this year, was called up on Friday and could make his big-league debut at some point in this year. series. If that happens, Ort will be the ninth player to make his big-league debut for Boston this season.
Bogaerts, who has been on COVID-19 IL since September 1 after testing positive for the virus, will be activated for Friday’s game and start from shortstop in game one of the series. The All-Star comes off an average in August where he hit .258 with four homers and a .759 OPS in 27 games.
Pivetta was placed on COVID-19 IL last weekend but could be cleared to join the Red Sox over the weekend. If that happens, Pivetta will kick off the series finale on Sunday, according to manager Alex Cora.
- The Red Sox and White Sox shared a four-game streak at Fenway Park in April; this weekend’s series is the only other time the clubs will play in the regular season.
- The Red Sox are 6-14 in their last 20 road games, but were 4-3 on their last road trip.
- The Red Sox lead the majors in doubles (293) and extra-base hits (501) and rank 4th in points per game (5.06), 3rd on average (0.261), 2nd in hit percentage (0.448) and 3rd in OPS (0.775).
- The Red Sox came in today with the biggest increase in MLB winning percentage from 2020 (.400) to 2021 (.563).
- The Red Sox have used 54 players this season, their 4th most player count in franchise history … They used 56 players in 2012, and 55 in 1996 and 2014.
- The Red Sox outfielder lead the MLB with 39 assists, their highest level in a season since 1992 (also 39) … They had over 40 assists in 1987 (47).
- Boston has 20 games left in the regular season (12 on the road, 8 at home) … Their best 20-game streak of the season was 15-5 from 6/14 to 7/5. 9 of the Sox’s remaining games are against teams that came in today with a winning record, including all 6 on that road trip (CWS-3, SEA-3, NYY-3).
- Bobby Dalbec is one of 13 Red Sox rookies to hit 20+ HR in a season (only 10 hit over 20). ), OPS (1.152) and wRC + (201).
- With Wednesday’s win over the Rays, the Sox improved to 25-15 (0.625) in 1-point games, tied for the 4th best MLB record …).
The Red Sox will then travel to Seattle for a crucial three-game set against the Mariners and then return. Here is the rest of the program:
Mon Sep 13 – Wed Sep 15: @ Mariners (3)
Thu. September 16 – DAY OFF
Fri Sep 17 – Sun Sep 19: vs. Orioles (3)
Mon. September 20 – DAY OFF
Tue Sept. 21 – Wed. September 22: against Mets (2)
Thu 23 Sep – DAY OFF
Fri Sep 24 – Sun Sep 26 – vs. Yankees (3)
When will the Boston Red Sox return all of their players from the COVID-19 roster? Xander Bogaerts, Nick Pivetta, Matt Barnes more could be back soon
Chris Sale tests positive for COVID-19, won’t start for Boston Red Sox on Sunday
Hunter Renfroe claims MLB has asked Boston Red Sox to stop COVID-19 testing, but team denies it, league says, 1,884 tests done since August 26