There’s no place for Tesla to sit back and relax with its Model X, as Rivian unleashes its all-new electric SUV, the R1S, in a bid to challenge the former’s monopoly on the EV market luxury. Rivian R1S, which appears to be a revolutionary modernization of its Gen 1 counterpart, R1T, seems to challenge even the best luxury SUV manufacturers in general – the elite club of Porsche, Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Cadillacs and Lincolns.
A giant leap that makes it simply unmatched
Rivian’s latest flagship electric SUV is indeed a major upgrade from its first entry in this series, the Rivian R1T. Let’s make a comparative analysis of their main features.
- The R1S includes a rear wiper activation button on the left steering column stalk, which was notably absent from the R1T.
- Unlike the R1T, the new R1S has a chrome wrap on its top.
- The latter uses slightly different display software than the former.
- Here, the much-vaunted under-seat storage has been replaced with a sliding seat and footwell for the third row.
- There are also some similarities between the two. Both feature an 11.1 cubic foot frunk, the same type of tire options, and equal height and width.
- The third row seats have become much more impressive than the main version.
Let’s take a close look at the specs of the Rivian R1S
The luxury, comfort and overall experience offered by the Rivian R1S electric SUV could be reminiscent of White Star Line‘s iconic cruiser, RMS Titanic. Here are all the minute details on the next-generation electric SUV wonder.
- It runs on a 4 AC permanent magnet motor (one per wheel), which is quite instrumental in its outstanding performance.
- The 835 horsepower (908 lb-ft) is enough to send butterflies in your stomach.
- A battery as powerful as 135.0 kWh and that too, together with Lithium-Ion, makes it an absolute powerhouse.
- It has unreal stats when it comes to its range – 316 miles.
- The Rivian R1S uses the CCS (Combo) socket for DC fast charging and can accept a maximum charge rate of 220kW.
- It offers a variety of modes to choose from – Sports, All-Terrain Off-Road, Rock Crawl, Rally, Drift and Soft Sand.
Rivian R1S test drive
The feedback is truly overwhelming so far. Here is an overview.
- If you are an adventure enthusiast, then the Rivian R1S could be the perfect choice for long trips, where the roads are bumpy and laden with mud, because its all-terrain capabilities are formidable.
- Also, a brilliant interior design that includes a beautifully crafted cabin with contemporary styling, fancy leather, wood trim and two large screens – one for infotainment and one for the driver’s gauge display.
- It comes with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless smartphone charger and Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant.
- Absence of own fast charging networks.
- Software functionality can hardly match Tesla standards.
- Unavailability of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Rivian R1S Camping
The huge rear space makes the Rivian R1S electric SUV a paradise for campers. Along with Yakima’s tent accessories for the roof and plenty of storage to transport large tent structures, it has the glass ceiling and USB-C and AC options.
Rivian R1S Price
The pocket pinch for this rare juxtaposition of pure class, super elegance, technical brilliance and charismatic beauty, is $91,075. But we can surely opt for this “thing that dreams are made of!” because less than $100,000 is nothing but a bargain.
Ride Rivian R1S to greener pastures
Backed by Amazon and Ford Motor, Rivian, which has been boosted by a $2.5 billion cash injection led by T Rowe Price, is sure to lead people to a green lifestyle with its R1S. At a time when the climate crisis is raising eyebrows among scientists around the world, the arrival of R1S brings an air of freshness and excitement. Fasten your seatbelts for the roller coaster until we get back to you with more fascinating updates from life, lifestyle and beyond.